Sunday, May 24, 2009

blooms again


the old apple tree
Originally uploaded by norvegal

A few years ago, one of the old apple trees in my garden finally gave up the ghost and tipped over. I saw it coming--it was teetering closer and closer to the ground--but I failed to go out there and prop it up in time. One heavy rainstorm and down it went.

I didn't have the heart (nor the implements) to cut the tree down and finish the job, so I just let it sit there.

Well, guess what came back to life this spring? One entire side of the toppled tree is now covered with these glorious pink blossoms. Walk towards it and you'll hear a loud hum of bees ecstatically rolling in the pollen of each flower.

There's a lesson in here somewhere, I'm sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely photo, and a lovely mental image you've given me.

A very merry unbirthday, by the way!

Margaret said...

! If you get apples, they'll definitely be easier to pick. :-)

rosi-r said...

sort of like me, but without the bees, thank goodness.
rosi