Tuesday, January 9, 2007


Wow.

I didn't mean to post again so soon. After all, that last post took nearly three months. I really should pace myself.

But today I received the most astonishing thing in the mail, and I had to share it with people who would understand why I'm still nearly speechless.

First, there was an express mail envelope from Japan with all sorts of official-looking boxes and checkmarks and forms and stamps that even baffled my postmistress briefly. And inside, a touching card and exquisitely perfect pair of handknit socks. Made from a wool/cashmere Posh Yarn blend I've been dying to try.

No, this was not a manufacturer's sample and it wasn't something I'd ordered online... this was a totally unexpected gift from someone who lives halfway around the world and has never met me in person.

We met through KR and have emailed over the years, sharing our love of yarn and our desires to turn this love into a career. She was a huge help to me when I edited Knitscene, and apparently I did something to keep her from disliking me immensely because she actually took the time and thought and care to make this lovely, lovely pair of socks, just for me.

For years I've given away handknitted gifts and preached the power of the handknitted gift to anyone who'll listen (or who can't get away fast enough), so you'd think I'd be ready to accept such a gift with composure and grace. But truth be told, this has left me a babbling mess of awe and gratitude and humility. Somehow a simple thank-you card to my friend doesn't possibly do enough honor to the gift. Her beautiful stitches deserve public celebration here.
Thank you, Jun.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, how lovely, Clara. And the socks are beautiful, too!

AR said...

The socks are beautiful! Wow. What a spectacular gift!

Your bunny is really cute, too.

Lanea said...

Yay! I love it when knitters get hand-knitted gifts. What a wonderful friend you've made.

Margaret said...

Happy New Year to you, too, Clara! And babbling in gratitude or not, you definitely merit a lovely pair of sox from your friend! (I refer you to Pablo Neruda's "Ode", written when he received some. :-)

I know you feel you haven't blogged enough, often enough, but when you do, it's wonderful, so please continue. This Canuck is one of your (at least) 6 loyal fans.

Hugs,

purlewe said...

wow. they are certainly POSH. They look lovely and are a great color for you.

sometimes friends know exactly the right way to treat us.

L. said...

What lovely socks, Clara! Only a fellow knitter knows how much time goes into knitting a pair of socks and so it means that much more....enjoy!

Serena said...

It's funny, c.c. parkesings, that I come here to thank you for a kind gesture, and find that you were the recipient of one. I received a card from the AAMC today, and it meant a lot to me. I hope those socks are keeping you toasty...

Bess said...

Special socks for a special lady.

I tried to comment days ago, but I couldn't get in. Blame it on dial-up, hmm?

Anonymous said...

Wow, so pretty! You are so lucky!

Anonymous said...

How lovely that not only did she think of you, but she expressed that with such a beautiful pair of hand knit socks! It's wonderful how many great people you can "meet" on the internet.