Saturday, January 14, 2006

Three Things I Find Funny

1. Michael Wright's description of trying to transport 8 tiny sheep in the back of his Renault.

2. Every word in the Jetlag Travel Guide to Molvania.




3. This image, taken from a bizarre catalog I got in the mail last week. In case you can't read it, the caption says, "All models are available with a clear or black wheel."

Is it me, or does $359 seem a little cheap for a model... even if she does come with her own wheel?






In Other News

Last week I went into KnitWit, a shop that is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. The owner asked if, pray tell, I ever had the time to knit for myself. Not enough, alas, but I always have something with me just in case. Here's some proof.

a little bit o heavenAfter looking through all my pattern books and jotting down several possible stitch combos, I finally gave up and knit this Classic Elite Embrace wrap in the free pattern that came with the yarn.

It's a splendid cabled cashmere dyed in looooong spots of color, and the stockinette-heavy pattern allowed those colors to come through relatively uninterrupted. I haven't blocked it yet, but I'm hoping I can make it a little longer. Right now it feels boxy and top-heavy.

So that's item number 1. Not much of a challenge, but I needed a mindless task to do over Christmas.

who says you can't make socks out of cashmere?Item number 2 is a simple pair of socks in Elann's Baby Cashmere (an alpaca/merino/cashmere blend) and knit in Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer's Swirling Lace Anklets pattern.

What you see is what I managed to finish while waiting for the snow tires to get put on. (It was either this or surrender to Family Feud, Judge Judy, and a slew of other fantastic daytime television programs they had blaring the whole time.)

Progress is slow but pleasurable. I plan to bring these socks with me to TNNA in San Diego, which is next week.

(And yes, I know that a cashmere, merino, and alpaca blend is a textbook no-no for socks, but I abide by no rules when knitting for myself.)

No comments: