Monday, February 3, 2003


The mojo saga continues. A recap: I got laid off on Monday. Friday evening my brother went out for dinner with his girlfriend and her father. They intended to console her about losing her job. Instead, it turned out that both my brother AND her father also had been laid off that very day. Agreed, much worse things could have happened (she knocks on wood) but still, this is pretty uncanny.
somewhere in here there's a sweaterIn happier news, Studio has begun! Not only has it begun, but I'm having a hard time putting it down. I haven't had this much fun since I discovered self-patterning sock yarns a la Regia and Opal.

The pattern is almost entirely garter stitch, which has the potential to be mind-numbingly dull. But this isn't your standard knit-a-rectangle-and-call-it-a-scarf garter stitch work. It involves endless increasing, decreasing, geometric zigzags and color changes. And as with the self-patterning sock yarns, I find myself constantly saying, "OK, just one more repeat and then I'll put this down and go to sleep." (Six repeats later she's still knitting away.)

My brain is hooked as I try to figure out how in the world all these lines and triangles translate into the actual finished sweater. The irony is that I seriously doubt this sweater will look good on me when it's done. But I'm so eager to follow Hanne Falkenberg's process that I really don't care if I look like a weebil wearing the thing.

Have you ever done this, pick a project for the the project's sake rather than solely for the finished results? C'mon, reassure me I'm not alone...

No comments: