Sunday, December 18, 2005

And a holly jolly ho ho ho to you!

Here in the wilds of Maine, the sun - which never really managed to make a full appearance - was gone by 4:15pm. I'm sitting at my kitchen table, which is strewn with about 10 years' worth of wrapping paper and ribbon tidbits. Don't throw out that six inches of green and gold ribbon, you may need it! Ditto for the 2" x 2" square of paper depicting half an angel and the word "lidays".

But I'm on a Marks & Spencer Extra Strong Tea high, reinforced with Hammonds handmade candycanes. I had six of the gorgeous creatures set out on the table for wrapping when Mr. Casey got a wee bit too excited about something outside. He somehow managed to knock everything off the table, including all six candycanes. Despite their heft and girth, they all shattered.

So I'm mainlining big chunks of corn syrup, sugar, citric acid, N&A flavors, and artificial colors. And BOY are they good.

The Christmas gift-knitting season never really materialized. I blame my beautiful new nephew, whose name has been decided. William.

After my marathon blankie-knitting experience (wanna see it?), I've only been able to whip out a pair of matching booties. All the other hats and mittens and scarves and shawls on my list... well... they went the way of all good knitterly intentions.

Am I the only one having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit this year?

No comments: