Tuesday, October 7, 2003



the field before its yearly haircutFuture home of sheep, alpacas, angora goats, and perhaps a water buffalo or two, before its annual shearing.
hey, there's land under there!And after its annual shearing. The pictures are small and dark, so use your imagination. And no, I don't think I'll add a water buffalo.
I'm guessing that fencing and lodging will be the two biggest expenses associated with Operation Fiber Freedom. Fencing is a must because we have coyotes, foxes, neighboring dogs, hungry bald eagles, and an enthusiastically embraced hunting season.

Lodging for Said Animals is also a must. Yes, I have a huge barn, but it's attached to the house, needs loads of work, and is already full of stuff. Hopefully my little four-legged friends won't need berber carpet and a Viking range in the kitchen.

My two favorite books on this subject are both by Paula Simmons. The first book, Raising Sheep the Modern Way, is a great way to dissuade any amateur weekend warriors from raising sheep—and that's the one I read when fantasy takes over and I need a reality check. Boy oh boy does it look like a lot of work.

And the second book, Turning Wool into a Cottage Industry, gives me hope. It's somewhat dated, but still an inspiration for anyone who wants to make this his or her livelihood. Does anybody else have good reference recommendations?

No comments: