Thursday, December 12, 2002

My HanneI covet, I covet, I covet! Allow me to introduce you to Studio, the new Hanne Falkenberg knitting endeavor that I'm confident will keep me confused through 2003. Most of HF's designs are diagonal-crazed oregami-like concoctions where you haven't the faintest clue what the heck you're doing until the very end. This sweater, for example, begins with thee stitches.

But two women at the KR retreat wore HF sweaters that were so exquisite, so unlike anything I've ever even dreamed of doing thus far, that I decided it was time.


But here's the kicker: Instead of paying $265 and buying the kit here in the U.S., I went international and ordered it straight from Sommerfuglen in Denmark. The tab came to about $70 including shipping.


The price difference is so stupendous that I don't really know how to handle it. Should I gloat? Be humble and grateful? Risk it all and share my secret with others?


I won't let myself begin Studio until I've made some sort of headway with the 974 other half-finished sweaters I have sitting around the house. Two sassy black Vittadinis, a cropped Chamonix (aka Casey's Pillow), a supersoft and funky Noro, a Mostly Merino pullover, a Carodan Farms cabled turtleneck... Really, it's shameful. And that doesn't include the bags of yarn ready and waiting for their time on the needles. Ssssshhhhhhh......

No comments: